Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Escambia County Building Official Guidelines for Repairing Flooded Homes

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 - 4:21pm

Recognizing that many households have been impacted by the recent flooding in Escambia County, the Building Inspections Department has expedited procedures and expanded hours in an effort to assist homeowners in the restoration of power to their home as soon as possible. Each home will require an electrical permit and/or building permit, as well as a rough and final inspection to document the completed repairs and to protect our citizens.

Any receptacles, switches, panels, breakers, service equipment or other electrical equipment submerged must be replaced. Underwriters Laboratories and electrical equipment manufacturers recommend replacing any wire that was submerged. The electrical contractor will be able to determine if the wire is usable and the inspection report will note that choice.  Wire deeply submerged in highly contaminated water must be replaced.

In homes that received more than 30 inches of water, the electrical contractor can remove all devices below that level and remove the branch circuit conductors from the breakers and prepare for sheetrock. Ground fault receptacles (GFR) that are located above the sheetrock work area can remain energized, or the contractor may install GFRs for construction use. After the rough electrical inspection the power can be released allowing construction, drying and air conditioning without requiring a temporary service pole.

Inspections may be scheduled by using our Interactive Voice Response (IVR), 24 hours a day, at (850) 471-6640. For questions or additional information, contact the Building Inspections Department by email at buildinginspections@myescambia.com or call (850) 595-3550.

To verify a contractor’s licensing status contact the Building Inspections Department by email at buildinginspections@myescambia.com  or call (850) 595-3509.  Also, the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) can verify licenses at www.myfloridalicense.com or call (850) 487-1395.

Escambia County residents should report suspected unlicensed or unpermitted work by emailing buildinginspections@myescambia.com or by calling (850) 595-3509.

No comments:

Post a Comment